Hey everyone, Maker Corp member Jereme here to talk about the finale of my 3D printed mask project. After I finished assembling, I filled in the gaps using a two part epoxy and I would overfill the pieces, then sand it back down until it was smooth. When sanding with either sandpaper or a rotary tool, I make sure to use proper personal protective equipment. For this project a combination of a particle mask and googles was necessary when grinding both the epoxy and the ABS plastic.

image-20160818_110654

The next step was to take the mask and apply primer to it. The chosen primer I used was a grey filler primer, because it would cover up some of the smaller gaps that still remained on the mask. Finally, the primer was smoothed out with another sanding and a second and third coat of primer was applied.

img_20160921_084039

The next task to accomplish was to paint the mask. On the recommendation of an artist friend of mine, I applied a coat of matte finish to the primer. The matte gives better adhesion to the paint allowing for a smoother finish for the final product. I began with a base coat of parchment colored paint over the entire model. From here, I began to brighten the color by slowly adding white to the parchment for the second and third layer of paint.

For all of the accents on the piece, I began with a coat of an antique gold mixed with some brown to darken the shine to it. I then began layering on top of this another coat of the antique gold layered with less and less brown until it achieved the color I was looking for. Finally, a layer of varnish was applied in the end to protect the paint and give it a bit of a sheen. Thanks makers and have a wonderful day!

image-20161012_114121